This article explains How to apply for Accreditation as a Media Trainer in Kenya. Pursuant to sections 4, 6(h), 23(c) and 46 of the Media Council Act no 46 of 2013, the Media Council of Kenya undertakes Annual Accreditation of journalists practicing in Kenya for purposes of compiling and maintaining a register of journalists, media practitioners, media enterprises and media training institutions in Kenya.
One of its main aims is to improve professionalism among journalists as it ensures that all accredited journalists have the right skills to carry out their duties in a professional manner as accorded to by the Code of Conduct for the Practice of Journalism in Kenya. It also fulfills the Council’s mandate to compile and maintain a register of journalists, media practitioners, media enterprises and such other related registers.
- An applicant can apply for accreditation as a Media Trainer online by visiting the Media Council of Kenya (MCK’s) Website and make an application through MCK’s online portal through the following link: Online Accreditation Portal
- Please visit the Media Council of Kenya (MCK’s) Website homepage, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Accreditation Icon to proceed to the accreditation portal.
- Upon entering the accreditation portal’s homepage, click on the “Journalist” tab and then choose the “Register (New Journalist Only)” to enter the next page.
- You will be taken to the next page once you click the “Register (New Journalist Only)” option where you will be asked to provide your personal information, for you to be registered in the portal. This information includes:
- Email address
- Full names
- Date of Birth
- Phone number
- Passport photo
- Please provide your valid information and click on the “Submit” button to submit your application. A verification link will be sent to the email address you provided during the registration process.
- Log in to your email address and click on the verification link. This will lead you to MCS’s Online Accreditation Portal homepage, click on the “Journalist” tab and then choose the “ Login” option so as to begin your accreditation process.
- Please use your email address and password to log into the portal. Here click on the “Membership Request” tab and select the “New Application” Option to apply for accreditation.
- Once you click on the “New Application” Option, you will be taken to the next page where you have to choose the category of accreditation you want to apply for: i.e.
- Media Trainers
- Fill in the required information and click on the “Submit” button for review.
- At this point your application status will read as “Pending Approval”.
- The application approval usually takes a period of two days.
- Once your application is approved, a confirmation message will be sent to your email address, and your application status will change to “Pending Payment”.
- Proceed to the make the accreditation payment through Mpesa using the instructions provided in the portal.
- Please do not make any payment before receiving a confirmation massage of approval from MCK asking you to make the payment.
- Once you have made the payment a pdf copy of your Accreditation Card will be availed in your MCK account , a hard copy of the Press Card can be picked in person from the Council’s Office at Britam Center, Upper-Hill, Nairobi.
- You will be required to provide proof of identification while collecting the Accreditation Card.
- An applicant can also apply for accreditation as a Media Trainer in person by visiting the Media Council of Kenya (MCK) offices .The contact information of the MCK offices can be found in the “Office Location & Contact” Section of this page.
- Here the applicant will be given an Accreditation Application Form to fill and submit. The application form can also downloaded from the MCK’s official website through the following link .
- Fill in the application form and attach the required documents. A list of the required documents is mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
- Note: make sure you choose the category of accreditation you want to apply for on the application form: i.e. Specify that you want to apply for accreditation as a Media Trainer.
- Submit the completed application form and all the required documents to the Media Council Of Kenya (MCK) Offices and proceed to pay the required fees. Details of the required fees for accreditation are provided in the “Fees” Section of this page.
- Submit the payment receipt to the MCK Offices for processing of your application to begin.
- Once the accreditation process in completed the Media Council of Kenya (MCK) will contact the applicant to collect the accreditation card in person.
- Accreditation is usually completed after a period of seven days.
- The applicant will be required to produce proof of identity while collecting his accreditation card.
MCK Office Locations & Contacts
Media Council of Kenya – Head Office
Address: Ground Floor, Britam Centre,
Mara/Ragati Road Junction,Upper Hill
P.O. Box 43132 00100 Nairobi
Tel :+254 727 735252, +254 702 558233, +254 702 558234,+254 702 558453